Question: How do wireless Braces work?
Answer: Commonly known as Invisalign, decease this orthodontic treatment system works to straighten teeth through the use of a series of clear plastic molds (aligners). These “invisible” braces eliminate the metallic smile that is characteristic of traditional orthodontic braces.
After taking bite impressions of your mouth, the dentist send the impressions to a specialized laboratory that use a three dimensional computer imaging system to create a series of clear retainers, the first one will fit the current configuration of your teeth. Each successive retainer will act like invisible braces, using gentle pressure to move your teeth to their target alignment.
The number of Invisalign trays used will depend on each individual case, but the average is between 18 and 30. Each clear retainer is removable and is worn for two weeks (24 hours a day, except during meals) and then the next aligner is used. This process is repeated until the teeth are in the desired position. The entire Invisalign treatment takes the same amount of time as traditional orthodontic braces.
Advantage over traditional braces
- Invisible, the clear aligners are not easily seen , no one will know you are straightening your teeth.
- Removable, so you can eat and drink what you want while in treatment.
- Improved oral hygiene, brushing and flossing can be done normally.
- Comfortable, no metal or wires involved, thus office visit is quicker, not much adjustment necessary by the dentist or orthodontist.
- Total time for completion of treatment is usually shorter than for traditional braces.
- Less dietary restrictions, in terms of food that usually leads to staining and decay with traditional braces.
Disadvantage of Invisalign braces
- Are not appropriate for children, due to presence of mix dentition( adult and baby teeth at the same time)
- All restorative work must be completed before or after treatment.
- Can only treat relatively simple cases, more complex cases need to be treated by traditional braces.
- Patient compliance is very important, if patient do not wear the aligners then treatment can take much longer than normal.
The American Association of Orthodontist considers this system to be a good additional tool but it does not replace traditional braces due to the limitations listed. They work best if the patient is an adult who has a good bite, small tooth rotation, small gap or minor problems. This type of braces will not work with patients with severe crowding, overbites, crossbites and children with mixed dentition.
Invisalign braces are definitely indicated for adults who want to achieve the perfect smile without the “metal” mouth and without everybody knowing that they are getting their teeth straightened..